Friday, July 25, 2008

Irony at Work.

A work project that I was working on was taken away from me this week. No, not because of incompetence on my part. At least not that I'm aware of. I've worked on this project both last year and the year before and we were particularly successful last year, gaining a lot of prestige and recognition for my company both on the state and even national level. For reasons of privacy and diplomacy in regards to my company, I won't go into detail about the project, the people involved, or things of that nature.

This year, I asked one of my coworkers who also has experience with this event to help out so that I wouldn't get overworked on it like I have in the past and also because I will be on vacation for the first event in the series of events. I thought that I had been clear with this coworker that she was there to help with the project and run the first event that I would be gone for, but apparently she didn't see it like that because a few days ago I was told by my supervisor to let my coworker take care of the project and that if she needed any help or advise she could come to me. Okay.... What happened here?

Although it's a little frustrating, I can see the irony in the role reversals. It's a bit funny just how totally flipped around it is. The one who was supposed to lend me a hand has instead taken matters into her own hands and now I'm the one who is there simply for consultation. Well, I can let it go. I don't get paid extra for heading up the project (no matter how successful it is), so this is simply an opportunity to decrease my stress level at work.

It's interesting to me to step back for a moment and objectively look at the interactivity within a work environment, how people work (or don't work) with each other. I sometimes wonder what some people's thought processes are and how they arrive at a particular conclusion or justify a certain decision. In this case, it would be interesting to me to trace the route that this process of losing the supervision of this project took. What happened and who said what to whom to get from the point where I was in charge to where I have effectively been told to hand it over to someone else? What goes through people's heads?

1 comment:

Heart n Home said...

Irony at work and in the world at large IS a general wonderment. As far as what goes through people's heads, sometimes it's just air, sometimes profound thoughts, sometimes misunderstanding, or maybe just a low "hummmm..."

It's good that you can see the whole puzzling matter as an opportunity to just let go and work and live under a little less pressure.

Anyway, it's good to leave the field in glory, right?