Tuesday, September 9, 2008

'Tis the Season.

Well, that time of year has rolled around again. It seems to come earlier and earlier every year. You know what I'm talking about.

Halloween.

Yes, Halloween-time has come again. It's still the beginning of September, but the decorations have already started to come out at stores as well as (more importantly) their holiday merchandise. Does this bother me? No. I've always loved Halloween. After all, it's only a few days after my birthday. But what I love about it most is the atmosphere. More than the holiday, I love the season.

Fall has always made me, well, giddy. I love the changing colors of the leaves; the cool, crisp air; the low, sharp light of the more distant sun; the frost on the ground when you wake up; the later sunrise and earlier sunset. It all combines for an atmosphere of magic, much like winter and snow do for the Christmas season.

But beyond the weather, I always liked Halloween for the creepiness of the holiday. Not the bloody football player/cheerleader/bride costumes or the gory lawn decorations or the black, satanic focus that has steadily (and unfortunately) seeped into it in recent years. When I speak of creepiness, I'm talking about Disney-Halloween-TV-special kind of creepiness. Remember the old Disney cartoon version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? The feeling I got from that was the feeling I love about Halloween. Nothing evil, nothing demonic, no blood running everywhere. Good, clean fun. With a bit of a shiver.

Naturally, my thoughts are turning to what I'm going to dress up as for Halloween. I always loved dressing up as a kid, whether or not it was Halloween-time (which is amazing, considering that I hate trying on clothes as an adult). Last year I was a scarecrow and the year before that I was Frankenstein's monster. Whatever I choose, it needs to be relatively cheap, not too hard to make/apply (I'll never try Frankenstein's monster again) and at least somewhat authentic looking. I'm not a big fan of the fake looking, store-bought superhero costumes or the gag outfits (no, a guy dressed as a cow with a giant udder is not funny). If I'm going to be something, I want to look as much like it as possible. Halloween is an excuse for grown ups to dress up again.

So, give me some input on what I could be for Halloween. Anyone out there have any ideas? Anyone? Is anyone even out there?

Am I all alone?

Whoa. Spooky.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Green said...

I am excited for Halloween also, but I am even more excited for Christmas this year - I can't wait to decorate. As for ideas for a costume for Halloween, I am sure you will think of something AWESOME. I can't think of anything. I don't think I am going to bother dressing up this year as we won't have any parties to go to. We'll just take the kids trick-or-treating to the neighbors houses and we'll come home and watch movies.

Becky Green said...

I think you should be a duck! You could totally make yourself some yellow wings :)

Holli said...

You should dress up as this guy that works at this store called Maceys...have you heard of that place? They have these cool aprons that are red...or are they blue? Huh, anyway, that's the way you should go. =0)

Heart n Home said...

I liked you as a nerd, and as Harvey Johnson--wait--maybe that was the same costume.

How about the Sta-Puf Marshmallow man? You could use stuffed strips of old white sheets...or is that the Goodyear Radial Guy? Not sure. Anyway, that costume could be pretty warm.

How about something from your childhood, like He-Man? Do you think Robyn would want to be Teela? Or She-Ra? Maybe you could get a muscle suit (so you don't have to reveal your own rippling six-pack to the general public), and dig up a sword and shield somewhere. If you can't find those, maybe you could be Adam, Prince of Eternia, and find a big cat willing to dye its hair green...

Like Liz said, I'm sure you'll think of something awesome. You're a creative genius. Hey--how about Albert Einstein??? That would be cool--but you'd need a messy gray wig...